Darien Youth Commission
There are no items to display at this time
Darien Youth Commission Mission Statement
Youth Commission Members 2016-17
2016 Meeting Schedule
2017 Meeting Schedule (Tentative)
Agendas & Minutes
Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force -- Involving all sectors of the community, Thriving Youth is Darien’s coalition of concerned youth, community and civic organizations, businesses and individuals working together to provide meaningful relationships, experiences, skills and opportunities to benefit all our children. (For additional information, visit the Community Fund of Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force website.)
FATHERS' FORUM -- Returning to the Darien community for the 2016/17 school year, the Fathers' Forum Mission is: Build community connections by offering guidance and resources for fathers of children of all ages through monthly presentations from topical experts and group discussions. For complete information (including history, program schedule, speaker bios and more, please visit the Fathers' Forum website.
TOPS The Teen Options Program (TOPS is sponsored by the Darien Youth Commission. It is endorsed by MMS and made possible through the generous involvement of the TOPS Board and many other volunteers. TOPS is committed to offer affordable, safe, fun, drug and alcohol-free activities for Darien students in 6th, 7th or 8th Grades (both public and private school students). There is a charge for each TOPS event. Participants must be registered and can either pay at each event, or for your convenience, a pre-paid discounted option is available covering entrance to all TOPS events. Events are grade-level specific with the exception of four events which are for both 7th & 8th Grade TOPS members.
SPECIAL FAMILY, YOUTH & COMMUNITY EVENTS
- COMMUNITY-WIDE MOVIE TO BENEFIT DARIEN HUMAN SERVICES HOLIDAY GIFT DRIVE Annual event benefiting the Human Services Holiday Gift program. Free tickets to feature movie @ the Darien Playhouse. In lieu of payments, movie-goers are asked to bring new, unwrapped gift, toy or gift card. Typically takes place late November/early December.
- COMMUNITY MOVIE @ WEED BEACH
- June & September screenings. Co-sponsored by the Darien Parks & Recreation and the Darien Youth Commission. Start-time at dusk (varies according to sunset times/time of year). Free admission.
- ANNUAL FAMILY DAY DINNER @ THE DARIEN YMCA
- Sponsored by the Darien YMCA, the TYTF, the Community Fund of Darien & the Darien Youth Commission, this free, fun-filled family event promotes the concept that families who regularly dine together minimize future risk factors. The evening includes dinner, arts & crafts, gym games, swimming and more!
- 19TH ANNUAL HALLOWEEN WINDOW PAINTING CONTEST -- 2016 Halloween Window Painting Contest was held on Saturday, October 22 (and Sunday, October 23 for the rainier locations). Thanks to the local merchants and the close to 100 middle and high school students who participated in this fun community event. Special thanks to Beth Cherico from the Darien Arts Center for expert judging and to the Darien Depot for hosting the winners reception on 10/28. For a list of the 2016 winning and honorable mention teams, click here..
- SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM -- Two three-week day camps servicing children who have completed grades K-5. Three sites based on grade level: Camp Ox Ridge -- kids who have successfully completed kindergarten; Camp Royle -- kids who have successfully completed grades 1 & 2; Camp Mather (located at Holmes School on Hoyt Street) -- kids who have successfully completed grades 3, 4 & 5. Camps run daily from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (with an Early Drop-Off option from 8:00 a.m.). Program includes a variety of sports, arts & crafts, field trips and entertainers. Please note, children must be appropriate grade in our system to register online. If any of the desired sessions are full, don't forget to put your child on the waitlist.
SUMMER CAMP 2017 INFORMATION