Darien Youth Commission
There are no items to display at this time
Darien Youth Commission Mission Statement
Youth Commission Members 2016-17
2016 Meeting Schedule
2017 Meeting Schedule
Agendas & Minutes
Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force -- Involving all sectors of the community, Thriving Youth is Darien’s coalition of concerned youth, community and civic organizations, businesses and individuals working together to provide meaningful relationships, experiences, skills and opportunities to benefit all our children. (For additional information, visit the Community Fund of Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force website.)
FATHERS' FORUM -- Returning to the Darien community for the 2016/17 school year, the Fathers' Forum Mission is: Build community connections by offering guidance and resources for fathers of children of all ages through monthly presentations from topical experts and group discussions. For complete information (including history, program schedule, speaker bios and more, please visit the Fathers' Forum website.
TOPS The Teen Options Program (TOPS is sponsored by the Darien Youth Commission. It is endorsed by MMS and made possible through the generous involvement of the TOPS Board and many other volunteers. TOPS is committed to offer affordable, safe, fun, drug and alcohol-free activities for Darien students in 6th, 7th or 8th Grades (both public and private school students). There is a charge for each TOPS event. Participants must be registered and can either pay at each event, or for your convenience, a pre-paid discounted option is available covering entrance to all TOPS events. Events are grade-level specific with the exception of four events which are for both 7th & 8th Grade TOPS members.
SPECIAL FAMILY, YOUTH & COMMUNITY EVENTS
- 25TH TILLEY POND MODEL BOAT REGATTA -- SATURDAY, MAY 6! Was a wonderful day with two racing heats (homemade vessels and sharpie boat kit entries). 115 boats were entered as close to 300 people enjoyed all aspects of this fun, community event.
- DARIEN DASH -- COMMUNITY-WIDE SCAVENGER HUNT! HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW YOUR TOWN?!? This fun, family/community event took place on Saturday, March 11. Over 50 folks registered 13 vehicles, teaming up to solve riddles which led them to 20 various destinations throughout town. The Roche Family (Miranda, Natalie, Katherine & Philip) were ultimately crowned the Dynamic Dashers as the winning team.
- COMMUNITY-WIDE MOVIE TO BENEFIT DARIEN HUMAN SERVICES HOLIDAY GIFT DRIVE Annual event benefiting the Human Services Holiday Gift program. Free tickets to feature movie @ the Darien Playhouse. In lieu of payments, movie-goers are asked to bring new, unwrapped gift, toy or gift card. Typically takes place late November/early December.
- COMMUNITY MOVIE @ WEED BEACH
- June & September screenings. Co-sponsored by the Darien Parks & Recreation and the Darien Youth Commission. Start-time at dusk (varies according to sunset times/time of year). Free admission.
- ANNUAL FAMILY DAY DINNER @ THE DARIEN YMCA
- Sponsored by the Darien YMCA, the TYTF, the Community Fund of Darien & the Darien Youth Commission, this free, fun-filled family event promotes the concept that families who regularly dine together minimize future risk factors. The evening includes dinner, arts & crafts, gym games, swimming and more!
- 19TH ANNUAL HALLOWEEN WINDOW PAINTING CONTEST -- 2016 Halloween Window Painting Contest was held on Saturday, October 22 (and Sunday, October 23 for the rainier locations). Thanks to the local merchants and the close to 100 middle and high school students who participated in this fun community event. Special thanks to Beth Cherico from the Darien Arts Center for expert judging and to the Darien Depot for hosting the winners reception on 10/28. For a list of the 2016 winning and honorable mention teams, click here..
- SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM -- Two three-week day camps servicing children who have completed grades K-5. Three sites based on grade level: Camp Hindley -- kids who have successfully completed kindergarten (entering grade 1); Camp Royle -- kids who have successfully completed grades 1 & 2 (entering grades 2 & 3); Camp Mather (located at Holmes School on Hoyt Street) -- kids who have successfully completed grades 3, 4 & 5 (entering grades 4, 5 & 6). Camps run daily from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (with an Early Drop-Off option from 8:00 a.m.). Program includes a variety of sports, arts & crafts, field trips and entertainers. Please note, children must be appropriate grade in our system to register online. If any of the desired sessions are full, don't forget to put your child on the waitlist.
SUMMER CAMP 2017 INFORMATION
MIDDLE SCHOOL SUMMER ACTIVITY PROGRAM -- 2017
The Youth Commission's MIDDLE SCHOOL SUMMER ACTIVITY PROGRAM (MSSAP) registration begins Monday, March 6. (Non-resident registration begins Monday, May 1.) Affectionately dubbed "Camp Menace," this program runs Monday's - Thursday's, June 26 – August 6. Students may sign up for a week at a time or for all 6 weeks. The fee is $90 per week; $500 for all 6 weeks. (There is a charge for some field trips which must be paid on the day of the trip.) Click here to view the 2016 MSSAP calendar to better understand the program activities.