Darien Youth Commission
Darien Youth Commission Mission Statement
Youth Commission Members 2016-17
2016 Meeting Schedule
2017 Meeting Schedule (Tentative)
Agendas & Minutes
Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force -- Involving all sectors of the community, Thriving Youth is Darien’s coalition of concerned youth, community and civic organizations, businesses and individuals working together to provide meaningful relationships, experiences, skills and opportunities to benefit all our children. (For additional information, visit the Community Fund of Darien's Thriving Youth Task Force website.)
FATHERS' FORUM -- Returning to the Darien community for the 2016/17 school year, the Fathers' Forum Mission is: Build community connections by offering guidance and resources for fathers of children of all ages through monthly presentations from topical experts and group discussions. For complete information (including history, program schedule, speaker bios and more, please visit the Fathers' Forum website.
TOPS The Teen Options Program (TOPS is sponsored by the Darien Youth Commission. It is endorsed by MMS and made possible through the generous involvement of the TOPS Board and many other volunteers. TOPS is committed to offer affordable, safe, fun, drug and alcohol-free activities for Darien students in 6th, 7th or 8th Grades (both public and private school students). There is a charge for each TOPS event. Participants must be registered and can either pay at each event, or for your convenience, a pre-paid discounted option is available covering entrance to all TOPS events. Events are grade-level specific with the exception of four events which are for both 7th & 8th Grade TOPS members.
SPECIAL FAMILY, YOUTH & COMMUNITY EVENTS
ANNOUNCING PLANS FOR THE ANNUAL COMMUNITY FESTIVAL OF ARTS: A DAY TO CREATE! Saturday, March 4, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. This afternoon of free, hands-on-arts for the kids includes face painting, animals, crafts, performances and more. Featuring local non-profit agencies, not only will kids have a fun afternoon of crafting, parents have the opportunity to learn more about the valuable services these agencies offer to the youth and families in and around Darien.
For those looking to make a day of the fun, CASEY CARLE & HIS BUBBLEMANIA show takes place in the Town Hall auditorium prior to the Arts Festival. Starting @ 12:15 p.m., the cost is $4 per person and is perfect fun for audiences of all ages.
Click here for flyer detailing the afternoon's activities.
- DARIEN DASH -- COMMUNITY-WIDE SCAVENGER HUNT! HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW YOUR TOWN?!? Find out by participating in this community-wide challenge on Saturday, March 11, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Participation is open to all ages, but requires a vehicle and driver to travel about town, pursuing answers to riddles. Space is limited to the first 20 vehicles to register. (Registration opens Monday, February 27, $25 per vehicle registration fee.) Team members may not exceed the number of seat belts in vehicles and signed waivers are required for participants under the age of 18. Registration forms and waivers available on line or in the DYC office 2/27/17. Click here for additional event information including Darien Dash Rules.
- COMMUNITY-WIDE MOVIE TO BENEFIT DARIEN HUMAN SERVICES HOLIDAY GIFT DRIVE Annual event benefiting the Human Services Holiday Gift program. Free tickets to feature movie @ the Darien Playhouse. In lieu of payments, movie-goers are asked to bring new, unwrapped gift, toy or gift card. Typically takes place late November/early December.
- COMMUNITY MOVIE @ WEED BEACH
- June & September screenings. Co-sponsored by the Darien Parks & Recreation and the Darien Youth Commission. Start-time at dusk (varies according to sunset times/time of year). Free admission.
- ANNUAL FAMILY DAY DINNER @ THE DARIEN YMCA
- Sponsored by the Darien YMCA, the TYTF, the Community Fund of Darien & the Darien Youth Commission, this free, fun-filled family event promotes the concept that families who regularly dine together minimize future risk factors. The evening includes dinner, arts & crafts, gym games, swimming and more!
- 19TH ANNUAL HALLOWEEN WINDOW PAINTING CONTEST -- 2016 Halloween Window Painting Contest was held on Saturday, October 22 (and Sunday, October 23 for the rainier locations). Thanks to the local merchants and the close to 100 middle and high school students who participated in this fun community event. Special thanks to Beth Cherico from the Darien Arts Center for expert judging and to the Darien Depot for hosting the winners reception on 10/28. For a list of the 2016 winning and honorable mention teams, click here..
- SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM -- Two three-week day camps servicing children who have completed grades K-5. Three sites based on grade level: Camp Hindley -- kids who have successfully completed kindergarten (entering grade 1); Camp Royle -- kids who have successfully completed grades 1 & 2 (entering grades 2 & 3); Camp Mather (located at Holmes School on Hoyt Street) -- kids who have successfully completed grades 3, 4 & 5 (entering grades 4, 5 & 6). Camps run daily from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (with an Early Drop-Off option from 8:00 a.m.). Program includes a variety of sports, arts & crafts, field trips and entertainers. Please note, children must be appropriate grade in our system to register online. If any of the desired sessions are full, don't forget to put your child on the waitlist.
SUMMER CAMP 2017 INFORMATION
MIDDLE SCHOOL SUMMER ACTIVITY PROGRAM -- 2017
The Youth Commission's MIDDLE SCHOOL SUMMER ACTIVITY PROGRAM (MSSAP) registration begins Monday, March 6. (Non-resident registration begins Monday, May 1.) Affectionately dubbed "Camp Menace," this program runs Monday's - Thursday's, June 26 – August 6. Students may sign up for a week at a time or for all 6 weeks. The fee is $90 per week; $500 for all 6 weeks. (There is a charge for some field trips which must be paid on the day of the trip.) Click here to view the 2016 MSSAP calendar to better understand the program activities.