Planning and Zoning Commission
Channel 79 typically records each public hearing; a link to those videos is here.
Links to Proposed Zoning Regulation Amendments:
Proposed pending zoning regulation amendments relative to parking structures. (Amendment COZR #7-2018, proposing to amend Section 698.1 and 699.1). The public hearing will be held on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 8pm in Darien Town Hall.
Proposed pending zoning regulation amendments relative to the Baywater project--COZM#2-2018, COZR#6-2018, Special Needs/Senior Housing Overlay Zone. Supplemental information submitted on August 17, 2018--link here.
Proposed pending zoning regulation amendments regarding new sign regulations (would apply to all zones)....(Amendment COZR #3-2018, proposing to amend Sections 210, 230, 920-930--SIGN REGULATIONS). The public hearing was held on July 24, 2018 at 8pm in room 119 of Darien Town Hall. The Commission decided the matter on July 31, 2018. The new regulations take effect in September 2, 2018.
Proposed pending zoning regulation amendments regarding: a new definition of Finished Space; changes to the definition of Story; and other changes related to the provision of public plaza space for third floor construction in the CBD zone, and how that applies to finished basements in the CBD Zone. (Amendment COZR #4-2018, proposing to amend Sections 210, 656, 903, 904, 905). The public hearing was held on July 24, 2018 at 8pm in room 119 of Darien Town Hall, and was continued to July 31, 2018 at 8pm in the Auditorium of Town Hall. The Commission will deliberate and possibly decide the matter on August 28.
Links to applications of public interest:
- Ox Ridge property at 560 Middlesex Road (Highland Farm)
- Town of Darien Affordable Housing Map
- Proposed Amendments to Darien Zoning Regulations (COZR #7-2018) put forth by Baywater Corbin Partners, LLC
- Baywater 26 East Lane Project
- The Commons at Noroton Heights (FR Darien LLC) Redevelopment Project - Heights Road/Noroton Avenue:
The Commission approved the project on September 12, 2017.
- Noroton Heights Shopping Center (Palmer Family) Redevelopment Project - Heights Road:
- Application Binder
- Engineering Report--dated November 18, 2016 by Tighe & Bond
- Traffic Report (63 pages)--dated November 18, 2016 by Tighe & Bond
- Full Traffic Impact & Parking Study (750+ pages)--dated November 18, 2016 by Tighe & Bond
- Traffic Consultant Response from peer review traffic consultant FP Clark Associates (5 pages) dated January 4, 2017
- Response to Traffic Consultant by Tighe & Bond (4 pages) dated January 31, 2017
- Traffic Impact and Parking Report REVISED January 31, 2017 by Tighe & Bond (972 pages)
- Letter from Attorney Maslan dated February 16, 2017
- Engineering Report--REVISED February 9, 2017 by Tighe & Bond (190 pages)
- Plans--REVISED February 9, 2017
- Tighe & Bond Response to Commission Questions dated March 1, 2017
- Tighe & Bond Drainage Storm Drainage System Design Revisions dated March 1, 2017
- Drainage Plans--REVISED March 1, 2017
- Peer review Traffic Consultant FP Clark Associates response dated March 2, 2017
- Plans--REVISED March 1, 2017
- Attorney Maslan's presentation slides from March 7, 2017
The Commission approved the Noroton Heights Shopping Center redevelopment project with conditions on May 2, 2017. Link to approval is here.
- John R. Sini, Jr. (R) Chairman -- Exp. 11/2019
- Stephen Olvany (R) Vice-Chairman -- Exp. 11/2021
- Kevin Cunningham (D) Secretary -- Exp. 11/2019
- Jennifer Leahy (D) -- Exp. 11/2021
- James Rand (R) -- Exp. 11/2021
- Elizabeth Riva (R) -- Exp. 11/2019
- Jayme Stevenson, First Selectman
- Edward L. Gentile Jr., P.E., Public Works Director
Public Hearings generally will take place the fourth Tuesday of every month, except in August and December. Meetings are scheduled to be held in Room 206 in the Town Hall. In situations where an exceptionally large attendance is anticipated, meetings may be reassigned to the Auditorium. A General Meeting may also be held during a Public Hearing or Planning Meeting in place of, or in addition to, such scheduled meetings. The Commission shall attempt to conclude all meetings by no later than 11:00 P.M. Detailed agendas are available the Friday before a meeting date from the Planning and Zoning Department, and on the Planning and Zoning Commission page of the Town web site.
Link to help you prepare a list of neighbors within 100 feet of your property: Abutter's Tool.
You should check this information with the Assessor's Office to ensure that you have the most recent and up-to-date information. The information on the web was last updated August 1, 2018 for parcel mapping and ownership data, so it needs to be checked.
Link to May 9, 2017 Draft discussion booklet from Glenn Chalder of Planimetrics "Possible Business Zoning Approaches" (52 pages). This was discussed at the Planning & Zoning Commission meeting of May 16, 2017. On July 18, 2017, Mr. Chalder discussed sign issues and strategies with the Commission. A link to his July 11, 2017 memo is here. On October 10, 2017, Mr. Chalder discussed the following document regarding signs and the sign regulations with the Commission. On December 5, 2017, the November 30, 2017 "Potential Business Zoning Amendments" booklet was discussed. A link to that booklet is here. Two booklets dated February 6, 2018 were prepared. They are entitled "Sign Regulations" and "Potential Business Zoning Amendments". The latest booklet for Sign Regulations is dated April 26, 2018.
An April 9, 2018 28 page memorandum/booklet was prepared, as well as a List of Comments/Working Paper for PZC review dated April 4, 2018. Those were discussed at the Planning & Zoning Commission's April 17, 2018 meeting...which can be viewed at: https://vimeo.com/265367041. The final proposal on sign regulation amendments, which was discussed at a June 26 public hearing, is here. The public hearing on the sign regulations was closed on July 24, 2018. The Commission voted on the new sign regulations at their July 31, 2018 meeting. Those new regulations go into effect on September 2, 2018.
This page last updated on August 20, 2018.