Beginning August 23, 2021, all permit applications are to be submitted electronically via our online permitting system, ViewPoint.
This includes all Building/Zoning Permits.
For a step-by-step informational guide, click the following:
Submitting a Building/Zoning Permit Online
To Apply Online:
Darien Town Hall is currently OPEN to the public.
Please note the Town Hall new hours of operation,
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am to 5:15 pm
Office closed on Fridays, but one building official doing inspections.
You may come into Town Hall to take permits and talk to a building official during our office hours.
We will no longer being doing title searches by email. You may come into the building and use the computer in the hall to find the information you require, permits, surveys and plans.
If you have any questions about this new procedure, please email Ashley Lukaniec or Lisa Mason
Building Permit Log and
Demolition Permit Log
Note: The 2018 Connecticut State Building Code is effective as of October 1, 2018; for a list of the model codes and state amendments thereto please see the following link: 2018-CT-State-Building-Code Or the State website.
Note: For homeowners in designated flood zones, you may be able to reduce your insurance premiums by installing engineered flood vents; please see the following for more information: Flood Risk Evaluator
You can now follow us on Instagram @ darienbuildingdepartment
For information about C-Pace click HERE.
Inspectors are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m - 2:00 p.m., and 4:00 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. to answer questions and take calls
Inspections are Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Request inspections by e-mail to Lisa Mason. Please include:
- Owner’s name & address
- Type of Inspection
- Your name & phone number
- Permit number
For a list of required inspections for new construction and additions please visit the following link: Town of Darien Building Department Required Inspections; moreover, please see below for a comprehensive list of work that requires a building permit and inspection.
Information available from the Building Department:
- Surveys and plot plans
- Permits issued by address
- Certificates of Occupancy for permits
- Certificates of Compliance for permits
- Construction plans for permits issued after 1960; if you are the homeowner
- A list of current construction
Work requiring a building permit:
- Building a house
- Adding a garage
- Putting on a deck or portico
- Remodeling a bathroom
- Finishing part of a basement or attic
- Installing new roofing or new siding comprising more than 25% of the total roofing or siding area in a calendar year
- Installing a generator
- Any natural gas or propane work
- Installing an oil tank
- Renovating a kitchen
- Installing a pool or spa, in-ground or above
- Erecting a shed
- Erecting a large tent
- Demolishing a structure
- Enclosing a porch
- Installing a gas or wood burning stove or fireplace
- Changing the size/location of windows, window replacements or adding a bay window
- Doing interior alterations
- Installing lawn sprinkler systems
A Building Permit must be activated within 6 months or the permit shall become null and void. The applicant may request, in writing, a ninety (90) day extension of the permit.
Building Permit fees are as follows:
- A permit fee of $10.00 for every $1,000.00 valuation of work or fraction thereof shall be assessed (there shall be a $10.00 fee minimum); additionally, a state-mandated education fee of $0.26 per $1,000 valuation of work shall be assessed.
- The above-stated fees cover all mechanical, electrical and plumbing work included in the valuation of work submitted along with the building permit application; individual trade permits, however, must still be obtained separately from the building permit.
- Valuation of work includes the entire cost of construction, alteration or moving of the building or structure including value of all materials and labor used, whether or not donated or furnished by the owner. Does not include value of land, sanitary disposal system, well, driveway or site work.
- Carnivals, fairs, exhibitions or similar activity - $10.00
- Temporary electric service for construction - $30.00
- Service change or revamp - $60.00
- Oil tank or Propane installation - $20.00
- There shall be no refund of any fee, or part thereof, after a permit has been issued.
- State-mandated education fee of .26 per $1,000 of construction value shall be assessed to all building permits.
Darien uses the State Building Code:
WHERE TO OBTAIN THE 2018 STATE BUILDING CODE
The Office of the State Building Inspector announces adoption of the 2018 State Building Code with an effective date of October 1, 2018.
The documents that comprise the 2018 State Building Code are as follows:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, of the National Fire Protection Association Inc.
- 2015 International Residential Code
The International Code Council has agreed to publish Connecticut Specific Editions of the 2015 International Building and Residential Codes that incorporate the language of the Connecticut Supplement into the base document. This eliminates the need for concurrent use of the Connecticut Supplement for these two codes.
International Code Council, Inc.
4051 West Flossmoor Road
Country Club Hills, IL 60478-5795
Telephone: (888) 422-7233
The following organizations also sell code books to members and non-members:
American Institute of Architects,
370 James Street, Suite 402
New Haven, CT 06513
Telephone: (203) 865-2195