Department of Public Works
Darien Recycling and Refuse Center
126 Ledge Road
Monday - Saturday
7:00 am - 2:45 pm
Darien Recycling Center Holidays and Operation Hours
Single Stream Recycling
Single Stream Recycling Guidelines
Darien Bulk Pick up Program News Release
Darien Household Hazardous Waste Day 2013
Household Hazardous Waste Day in Cooperating Communities 2013
Electronic Recycling News Release 02/10/11
Recycling Center Permit Fee Schedule
- Residents without garbage collection: permit fee $110.00 (permits may be purchased on-line for existing customers only)
- Residents with garbage collection: permit fee $34.00 (permits may be purchased on-line for existing customers only)
- Seniors without garbage collection: permit fee $50.00 ( age 65 or older, proof of age along with vehicle registration is required, online purchase is not available )
- Seniors with garbage collection: are eligible for one free dump sticker; additional stickers, are $34.00 ( age 65 or older, proof of age along with vehicle registration is required, online purchase of additional permits is not available )
- Seniors with garbage collection that wish to receive their free dump permit by mail, click here for details.
- Residents in the Town Abatement Program: permit fee is $55.00 ( must be pre-qualified with Tax Assessor's Office, online purchase is not available)
- *Dump stickers are required for access to the Darien Recycling Center.
The fee for residents in the Town Tax Abatement program is $55. (You must be registered with the Tax Assessor to qualify.) The 2012-13 Dump Permits are now available for sale. The Residential Dump Permit Stickers expire yearly on June 30th.
Commercial Dump Permits are valid from January 1st to December 31st of each year. The yearly fee is $150.00 After June 30th the permit fee is $75.00 To apply for a Commercial Dump Permit by mail you need to download and print the application, complete the form, include a check for the permit amount, and include a self addressed stamped envelope. Click here, to download the Commercial Dump Permit Application.
To receive a permit by mail or in person, please have the following documentation available:
- Copy of the vehicle(s) registration.
- Proof of residency (drivers license) if vehicle not registered in Darien.
- Check made payable to the Town of Darien.
- Copy of current refuse bill if applicable.
- Stamped self-addressed envelope (if mailed).
If you have a refuse hauler you must show proof (cancelled check or recent invoice).
If you own property in Darien but do not reside here you must prove ownership (a copy of your Darien Property Tax, Mortgage, or utility bill).
* On-Line Residential Dump Permit Purchases Are for Existing Customers ONLY who have purchased a Dump Sticker Permit in the past and who's vehicle is already on file with the Department of Public Works. The new 2013-14 permits are not available for sale at this time, check this page and the end of May for updates. The Residential Dump Permits expire yearly on June 30th.
There is one dump sticker fee per household. You will be sent stickers for all vehicles on file with the Department of Public Works. For verification, please enter your last name and the plate number of one of your vehicles.
Please call 656-7346 for more information.
Additional Recycling Items at the Darien Recycling Center
Batteries (all types) Fluorescent light bulbs including compact fluorescent-unbroken
Electronics Construction & Demolition Debris (presorted for recycling as possible)
Motor Oil Plastic too large for recycling bin (e.g. play toys, patio chairs)
Lawn & Garden debris Scrap Metal
Refrigerators, Air conditioners, dehumidifiers, (Freon disposal fee required)
Textiles (clean & dry-usable clothing, shoes bedding, linens, hand bags, belts, hats, fabrics, no rugs or carpets.
Reusable Items - SWAP SHOP
There is a waste oil recycling tank located near the scale house. The tank is open on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. Only waste motor oil is accepted. Car batteries can be recycled and household batteries can be disposed of properly at the recycling center.
Leaf compost and wood chips are available for residents to take. There are piles of both located just beyond the scale house. Help yourself!
PLACE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE
Trash- any item or material that cannot be recycled. Items contaminated by food/grease/chemicals/non-recyclables
The following items are not accepted at the Refuse Disposal Area:
- Hazardous waste
- Pathological or medical waste
- Cylinders, barrels, sealed containers and propane tanks
- Items larger than 6" in diameter or 4' in length
Additional Information :
For information on disposing of hazardous waste, please call the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection at 860- 566-8843.
NOTE: Items with this symbol require Adobe Acrobat Reader - download free
Return to Public Works page