Darien Health Department
Room 109,Town Hall
Phone: 203 656-7320
Open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
A Message From David Knauf, Director of Health
Welcome to the Darien Health Department website. It is our intention to use this space to provide you with up-to-the minute health information as well as provide conveniently available application forms for your use. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or comments. Good Health to you!
What Services Do the Health Department Provide?
Health Department Annual Report: 2013-2014
April 2015 Quarterly Report to the Board of Selectmen
Forms, Applications & Regulations: Click here
- The next scheduled Food Handler Course is May 21, 2015. Schedule for the 2015 Food Handler Course
- Parent Information Series - Everything You want to Know About Your Adolescent
Click here for a list of presentations
Preparing for Emergencies
Emergencies can happen. When they do, the best strategy is to already have a plan in place. Get quick tips on:
- What Should I Do About a Sewer Line (or Septic System) Back-up into My House? Remember, if you lose electricity and your home is connected to a pressurized sewer system or you have a septic system utilizing a pump, you have limited storage capacity for waste water. Until power is restored, you must minimize the use of water or sewage could back up into your house, especially if you are on public water. If you have a generator, we advise you to make sure it powers the pumps.
Flu Prevention Program
- Vaccine is available (ages 3 and over) through the Scheduler. Sign Up Now!
- Need Immunization for Travel? Click here to find out where to go.
Food Protection Program
Indoor Air Quality
Radon Test Kits are available at Health Department offices - Test Your Home Today!
West Nile Virus
FREE - Tick Removal Kits available at the Darien Health Dept. in Town Hall.
Pool Safety (includes Condo Assoc. & Private Clubs)
Homes served by private wells get water from the ground. Water quality may change over time. It is recommended that homeowners have their water tested periodically.
Recreational Fishing and Shellfishing in Darien
2015 Guide to Recreational Shellfishing in Connecticut
For more information, view the interactive Connecticut Aquaculture Mapping Atlas
Go to Fee Schedule, Applications & Regulations for Shellfish Application
Fish Consumption Advisory from the CT Department of Public Health
If your home has a septic system, all the wastewater from your home is being discharged into the ground on your property. A properly installed and maintained septic system should give you many years of service but there are some things homeowners need to be aware of in order to maximize the useful length of time such systems work. Costs of repairs and replacement systems can be well into the five figure range, so a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
If you plan to remodel, add an addition, add a pool or outbuilding, Health Department approval is necessary. More information is available here.
General Information - FAQ
Consumer Advisories and Recalls
- Food Safety (US Department of Agriculture)
"FSIS - Food Recalls and Advisories" contains a summary of data on active recall cases. After a recall is completed, it will be removed from this listing but will be included in the "FSIS - Archives".
- Product Safety
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products. Use the links below to the CPSC website where you can find information on over 4,000 product recalls and recall alerts, report a product, or search past recalls dating back as far as 1974.
Consumer Product Recalls
Toy Safety and Recalls