Department of Health Office, Room 109
Town Hall, 2 Renshaw Road
Phone: 203 656-7320
Fax: 203 656-7486
Open Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm, closed Holidays
A Message From David Knauf, Director of Health
Welcome to the Town of Darien Health Department website. It is our intention to use this space to provide you with up-to-the minute health information as well as provide conveniently available application forms for your use. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or coments. Good Health to you!
To assure a safe community and healthy environment to all residents and visitors.
To uphold public health based environmental regulations and offer personal health services to the community.
To promote healthy lifestyles through preventative education initiatives.
What Does The Health Department Do?
2013 - October Health Department Quarterly Report to the Selectmen
Staff Contact Information:
- David A. Knauf, MPH, MS, RS
Director of Health
- Mindy Chambrelli
- Stephen Brueski
- Molly Larson
Public Health Nurse
- Elaine Kilbourn
- Caleb Moore, M.D.
Fee Schedule, Applications & Regulations: Click here
Preparing for Emergencies
Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st. Are you ready?
- Hurricanes: Science and Society
- Get Your Home and Your Family Hurricane Season Ready
- Emergencies can happen. When they do, the best strategy is to already have a plan in place.
- Get quick tips on basic preparations for emergencies, what to do both during and after a power outage, how to keep water safe and to keep food safe if flooding occurs.
- Residents Are Advised to Be Prepared For Power Outages At All Times
- Fact Sheets to Prepare Yourselves And Your Families For Public Health Hazards and Disasters
- After the Storm - Post Flood: Key Facts About Infectious Disease
- What Should I Do About a Sewer Line (or Septic System) Back-up into My House? Remember, if you lose electricity and your home is connected to a pressurized sewer system or you have a septic system utilizing a pump, you have limited storage capacity for waste water. Until power is restored, you must minimize the use of water or sewage could back up into your house, especially if you are on public water. If you have a generator, we advise you to make sure it powers the pumps.
Health & Medical Annex to the Darien Emergency Operations Plan
Flu Vaccine will be available by appointment in the Health Department office every Monday from 9:00 AM until noon starting September 9, 2013. Please use the on-line scheduler and make your appointment today!
CDC: Vaccine Q & A
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine
Visiting Nurse & Hospice Fall Flu Clinic Schedule
Need Immunization for Travel? Click here to find where to go
Visiting Nurse & Hospice offers free Blood Pressure Screening (click here) for Schedule
Food Protection Program
Restaurant Inspection Ratings Available on-line!
Search for an establishment RATING
Food Safety Information
Indoor Air Quality
For updates on Weed and Peartree Point Beach openings and closings call the
Recreational Hotline at 203-656-7323
Awareness & Prevention
FREE - Tick Removal Kits Available at the Darien Health Dept. office in Town Hall
Pool Safety (includes Condo Assoc. & Private Clubs)
Private Wells Should be Tested for Arsenic and Uranium
Recreational Shellfishing in Darien
The CT Bureau of Aquaculture is reminding recreational shellfish harvesters to bring a cooler with ice to the shore, and promptly place harvested shellfish on ice. Please visit www.ctgrown.gov/aquaculture and click on the link titled "Recreational Shellfish Harvesting and Vibrio" in red for additional recommendations.
Go to Fee Schedule, Applications & Regulations for Shellfish Application
If your home has a septic system, all the wastewater from your home is being discharged into the ground on your property. A properly installed and maintained septic system should give you many years of service but there are some things homeowners need to be aware of in order to maximize the useful length of time such systems work. Costs of repairs and replacement systems can be well into the five figure range, so a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
General Information - FAQ
Advisories and Recalls
U.S. Department of Agriculture - Food Safety & Inspection Service
This page contains summary of data on active recall cases. After a recall is completed, it will be removed from this listing but will be included in the Recall Case Archive.
FSIS (Food recalls and advisories)
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (Recalls)
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products. Use the links below to the CPSC website where you can find information on over 4,000 product recalls and recall alerts, report a product, or search past recalls dating back as far as 1973.
CPSC's Recalls and Product Safety News Homepage (includes recalls for all products current and past months/years)
Infant/Child Product Recalls (not including toys)
Toy Hazard Recalls