In response to the Covid-19 outbreak
The Building Department will be open by appointment only.
1) We ask the public and the construction community to please limit your access to the department unless absolutely necessary. We will try to handle as many inquires as we can by phone and email. If you must be here in person please call the office at (203) 656-7347 for an appointment.
2) All our permit application forms are accessible on this site through a list below. Please download the forms you need and fill them out by typing in the appropriate fields. Once the form is complete please save it and print or e-mail it to us.
3) Paid Mechanical Permits can be mailed back with a check and all the required documentation. Mechanical Permits covered under a Building Permit can be e-mailed back. Please be sure to include Building Permit Number.
4) Building permits with plans will need to call Zoning Department to arrange the drop off process
5) At this time our Inspectors will continue to do field inspection for both residential and commercial projects. Please be considerate and continue to practice social distancing. Simpler inspections may be performed using FaceTime Video at the inspector's discretion.
6) Title Searchers, Real Estate Brokers and homeowners
may request information and surveys via email to either Inna Ginzburg or Lisa Mason. We will do our best to get back to you with your information as quickly as possible but please allow extra time for processing.
7) Building Permit Log is now available online (see the link on the left hand side under Additional Information)
Please be assured that Building Department is doing everything we can to meet the needs of our customers and will continue to do so in the future.
Please stay safe and healthy!
Note: The 2018 Connecticut State Building Code is effective as of October 1, 2018; for a list of the model codes and state amendments thereto please see the following link: 2018-CT-State-Building-Code
Note: For homeowners in designated flood zones, you may be able to reduce your insurance premiums by installing engineered flood vents; please see the following for more information: Flood Risk Evaluator
As of Jan. 29, 2019 we will be accepting online trade permit applications; please see the following link for instructions:
Online Trade Permit Application Requirements
Click the link below to submit your online trade permit application; if a BUILDING PERMIT has been issued for your project, DO NOT use the online service.
Online Trade Permit Application
You can now follow us on Instagram @ darienbuildingdepartment
For information about C-Pace click HERE.
Inspectors are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m - 2:00 p.m., and 4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. to answer questions and take calls
Inspections are Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Request inspections or information by e-mail to Lisa Mason. Please include:
- Owner’s name & address
- Type of Inspection
- Your name & phone number
- Permit number
For a list of required inspections for new construction and additions please visit the following link: Town of Darien Building Department Required Inspections; moreover, please see below for a comprehensive list of work that requires a building permit and inspection.
Information available from the Building Department:
- Surveys and plot plans
- Permits issued by address
- Certificates of Occupancy for permits
- Certificates of Compliance for permits
- Construction plans for permits issued after 1960; if you are the homeowner
- A list of current construction
Work requiring a building permit:
- Building a house
- Adding a garage
- Putting on a deck or portico
- Remodeling a bathroom
- Finishing part of a basement or attic
- Installing new roofing or new siding comprising more than 25% of the total roofing or siding area in a calendar year
- Installing a generator
- Any natural gas or propane work
- Installing an oil tank
- Renovating a kitchen
- Installing a pool or spa, in-ground or above
- Erecting a shed
- Erecting a large tent
- Demolishing a structure
- Enclosing a porch
- Installing a gas or wood burning stove or fireplace
- Changing the size/location of windows, window replacements or adding a bay window
- Doing interior alterations
- Installing lawn sprinkler systems
A Building Permit must be activated within 6 months or the permit shall become null and void. The applicant may request, in writing, a ninety (90) day extension of the permit.
To obtain a Building Permit you will need:
- Two (2) completed building applications.
- One (1) completed zoning application.
- One (1) completed worker’s compensation affidavit; affidavit must also be notarized.
- Three (3) sets of plans and three (3) surveys (where required); four (4) set of plans for commercial projects and multi-family projects.
- Health Department clearance where required.
- A check made out to the "Town of Darien" to cover zoning fees; this fee depends upon the total amount of work proposed; see below for breakdown of fees.
- If your building was constructed before 1980, it may contain asbestos and or lead. The building department recommends calling the State of Connecticut Health Department at 860.509.8000 for information on how to identify and handle asbestos and or lead as it relates to your building project.
Everything is dropped off as a package to the Planning and Zoning Department. It will be forwarded to the Building Department for review and you will be contacted when it is ready to be picked up. For more information on the permit application process please see the following link: Zoning and Building Permit Applications
Building Permit fees are as follows:
- A permit fee of $10.00 for every $1,000.00 valuation of work or fraction thereof shall be assessed (there shall be a $10.00 fee minimum); additionally, a state-mandated education fee of $0.26 per $1,000 valuation of work shall be assessed.
- The above-stated fees cover all mechanical, electrical and plumbing work included in the valuation of work submitted along with the building permit application; individual trade permits, however, must still be obtained separately from the building permit.
- Valuation of work includes the entire cost of construction, alteration or moving of the building or structure including value of all materials and labor used, whether or not donated or furnished by the owner. Does not include value of land, sanitary disposal system, well, driveway or site work.
- Carnivals, fairs, exhibitions or similar activity - $10.00
- Temporary electric service for construction - $30.00
- Service change or revamp - $60.00
- Oil tank or Propane installation - $20.00
- There shall be no refund of any fee, or part thereof, after a permit has been issued.
- State-mandated education fee of .26 per $1,000 of construction value shall be assessed to all building permits.
Darien uses the State Building Code:
WHERE TO OBTAIN THE 2018 STATE BUILDING CODE
The Office of the State Building Inspector announces adoption of the 2018 State Building Code with an effective date of October 1, 2018.
The documents that comprise the 2018 State Building Code are as follows:
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, of the National Fire Protection Association Inc.
- 2015 International Residential Code
The International Code Council has agreed to publish Connecticut Specific Editions of the 2015 International Building and Residential Codes that incorporate the language of the Connecticut Supplement into the base document. This eliminates the need for concurrent use of the Connecticut Supplement for these two codes.
International Code Council, Inc.
4051 West Flossmoor Road
Country Club Hills, IL 60478-5795
Telephone: (888) 422-7233
The following organizations also sell code books to members and non-members:
American Institute of Architects,
370 James Street, Suite 402
New Haven, CT 06513
Telephone: (203) 865-2195